BCLA Industry Award
Launched in 2013 to honour and recognise the entrepreneurial work being carried out by individuals working in contact lens science, research and technology, the inaugural recipient of the BCLA Industry Award was Dr Paul Rose – inventor of the Rose K lens for keratoconus. Dr Rose, renowned throughout the world for his outstanding contribution to the field of contact lens research and development, was announced as the winner during the BCLA’s annual dinner held at the Ricoh Arena, Coventry, UK, on Saturday 7 June 2014.
Tony Martin, known as ‘The father of Acuvue’, was named as the winner of the 2015 BCLA Industry Award. Mr Martin said: “It’s a great honour to accept this award, and I do so on behalf of all of the team members who were part of the development of Acuvue. We knew that introducing a disposable soft contact lens had the potential to dramatically change the market, but I’m not sure we ever really thought about how successful it would become.”
- Each 2019 Sponsor and Clinical Conference exhibitor company can nominate an individual for the award. A nomination form will be sent to each applicable company.
- Nominations to be received by Friday 7 April 2019
- A shortlist will be drawn and shortlisted nominations will be notified
- The recipient will then be notified
- Each BCLA Council member will cast a first and second choice vote following determination of the short list. If a candidate secures more than half the votes among everyone's first choice, then they will win and no further counting is required. In the case where no candidate has a clear majority, the candidate with the lowest of first preferences is eliminated and his or her second preferences are then distributed between the remaining candidates as indicated.
- In the unlikely event of any exceptional circumstances, a final decision will be made by the BCLA President, President Elect, Immediate Past President and CEO.